CTC is proud to bring the running community new Ultra / Hill run in the scenic Palani hills near the princess of hill stations Kodaikanal. At 2000m altitude the runners will experience running bliss in the clouds through scenic tribal routes and trails, shola and pine forests with mesmerizing views on step plantations and lush green valleys. This UTMB qualifier includes categories for everyone: 120K, 80K, 60K, 30K, 13K. Registrations will open in August. Details below.
- Event: Kodaikanal Hills Ultra
- Date: Sunday, Jan 27th, 2018
|Category||Elevation Gain||Cut-off||Entry Criteria||Start||Finish||Fees||ITRA points|
|120K||3300m||25 hours||42K finisher in 6 hours||3:00 AM||4:00 AM||1900 Rs||5|
|80K||2200m||16 hours||42K finisher in 6 hours||3:00 AM||7:00 PM||1500Rs||4|
|60K||1800m||11 hours||42K finisher in 6 hours||3:00 AM||2:00 PM||1300 Rs||TBD|
|30K||900m||5 hours||None||6:00 AM||11:00 AM||800 Rs||0|
|13K||300m||3 hours||None||6:30 AM||9:30 AM||500 Rs||0|
- Organizers: Chennai Trekking Club and Rotary Club of Kodaikanal
- Venue: Kodaikanal, India
- Regs closing - Dec 1st or max. headcount
- Objective: non-profit event to create awareness on hill / trail / ultra running
- Associated Cause: sanitation girl children Poombarai / Kodai government schools
- Photo Links: Set 1 and Set 2
Kodaikanal is a city in the hills of the Dindigul district in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. Its name in the Tamil language means "The Gift of the Forest". Kodai is commonly referred to as the "Princess of Hill stations" and has a long history as a retreat and popular tourist destination.
The Kodai Hills Ultra is the third Ultra Trail run (after Chennai Trail Marathon and Jawadhu Hills Ultra) organized by the Chennai Trekking Club in association with Rotary Club of Kodaikanal to inspire more city road runners into ultra / trail / hill running.
- Kodaikanal is well connected through:
- Tamilnadu - overnight buses from many cities
- India - Airport (Madurai) + bus to Kodai
- India - Train (Dindigul - train code DG) + bus to Kodai
- International - Chennai Airport - Local flight to Madurai + bus to Kodai
- Route: 120K unique loop through the Palani Hill Range. Shorter sub-loop for smaller distances.
- Terrain: lush green forest, step plantations, remote villages
- Surface: partly peaceful remote road sections, partly hard trail
- Aid Stations: every 5K (13K, 30K), 10K / (60/80/120K)
- Altitude: 1500-2200 meters
- Climate: 10-15 degrees (Night / Morning / Evening), 25-30 degrees (Mid-day)
Note - Elevation profile for the 120K running route. Smaller distances will be a sub-part of this route.
Mandatory Requirements (120/80/60K)
- Runners which do not meet below requirements will be disqualified:
- Should have completed full marathon (42K) successfully in last 2 years within 6 hours
- Disclaimer form to be signed. Can be downloaded from web site after registration
- Hydration set (Camelback type or belt pouch with minimum capacity of 1 litre - 10K distance between aid stations)
- Headlamp (80/120K)
- Cap/bandana to protect yourself from the sun
- Mobile phone with the registered number
- Runners to carry GPS log of running route in their smartphone. Can be downloaded from web site after registration
Recommended Gears (all categories)
- Proper running shoes due to rocky terrain
- Snacks to consume during the race
- Salt caps or ORS to prevent cramps
- Aid Stations: water, lemon, salt, banana, orange, ORS, chicies + sandwiches for 60/80/120K runners
- Breakfast: South Indian buffet breakfast at finish (13/30K) or lunch (60K) or dinner/breakfast (80/120K)
- Coupons: Friday dinner / Saturday lunch / Saturday dinner at St. Peter's International School - coupons available for runners/friends/relatives (100Rs). Separate form to be submitted after registration
- Venue: St. Peters International School, Kodaikanal
- Friday: 4-10pm
- Timing chip: attached with the bib
- T-shirt: optional (400Rs)
- No Podiums / No Prize money
- KHU18 Medal (if finished within cut-off timing)
- Timings: posted on web site 1-2 days (manual timings) / Submitted to ITRA
- Photos: running route + finisher podium: extensive free photo coverage posted 1-2 days
In-house Sanitation Facilities for Poombarai village and Kodaikanal town government school. Poombarai School which have more than 500 students and only 2 restrooms in the open. We are doing this project especially for the girl children in the village who find it difficult to attend school.
About Chennai Trekking Club
- About: Chennai Trekking Club is a non-profit volunteer based community which organizes outdoors, sports and environmental conservation events throughout the year. With 40 thousand members and hundreds of events each year CTC is one of the largest and most active groups in India. More than 300 news articles appeared in the media.
- Web site: www.chennaitrekkers.org
- Facebook: Chennai Trekking Club
- Media: In the news
- Queries: info@chennaitrekkers.
Annual Events - chennaitrekkers.org/annual-e